Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Can you take me to America with you?

June 4, 2015

            Today I saw my first Cesarean section operation. It was amazing. The doctor gave me a front row view of the operation, right at the feet of the patient. I have come to the conclusion that I’m not afraid of blood, or the sight of an open human body; instead I find it to be quite fascinating. The operation was much quicker than I expected it to be. The doctor cut open the lower abdomen, then the uterus, pulled out the baby, pulled out the placenta, and then sewed everything back together. It took less than an hour for the operation to be complete. I enjoy being in the Operation Theater, I love to watch the patients undergo surgery.. Most of my time in Janet Nursing Home is spent watching patients get ultrasounds and vaginal examinations. If I had it my way, I would always be in the Operation Theater or the Labor Room, where it is much more exciting. This has led me to the conclusion that I would not enjoy being an OB/GYN, rather I think my future lies in general surgery. That being said, now that I have realized that I don’t want to become an OB/GYN. My time spent at Janet is never miserable. I have made friends with some of the staff members and nursing students at the clinic. They are still asking questions about my hair, which never
Took a picture with the surgeon, got in trouble for it by the nurse.
 ceases to amaze them. The nursing students also enjoy looking at the pictures on my phone. One of the students is determined to come back to the U.S. with me, she asks me often about the possibility. If I had the ability to get her to the U.S., I would, but sadly I don’t have that power.
            Living at Bishop Heber College has been great, stressful, and eventful. They keep us well fed with all sorts of Indian food. I am still adjusting to the spicy food. When we are not eating or at work we spend most of our time here playing card, and I have officially been crowned the Phoenix of Egyptian Rat Screw, a card game which Emily and Sarah have yet to beat me. Today out of boredom we went to the bakery and had some delicious bake goods. Mine was way too sweet and I was unable to finish it. It still surprises me to see all the bakery they have on one street. I looking forwards to the weekend because I’m getting tired of being stuck at the college and I want to be able to see what Trichy has to offer.

Day 5 in Trichy and I’m already tired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment