Friday, June 19, 2015

New Friends

June 17, 2015
            Now that our family has 5 members in it, as the self-proclaimed head of the household, it is my responsibility to show the newbies new things. Today we took a trip to my favorite ice cream shop and we showed them the wonders of IBACO ice cream. The workers were probably surprised to see our numbers increasing. Even though there are slight language barriers, we are still able to communicate together well. Later on, we taught them how to play our favorite card games. Alex the French student has become quite competitive, but I’m still the reigning champion.  
            Today at work, a lady talked to me in Tamil for a good five minutes. I didn’t have the heart to interrupt her and tell her I couldn’t understand, so I let her continue. I assume she was talking about her daughter’s pregnancy. Her daughter was about to give birth to her second child, however, the baby’s weight was lower than average, and the baby wasn’t receiving enough fluids. Dr. Jeremiah plans on delivering the baby early so I might see another cesarean section operation soon. It still amazes me how many people forget to take their pills properly and then complain that the medication is not working. A lady came in today after being prescribed hormone medicine to regulate her period, she was supposed to take the pills for two weeks in order to see results. Yet, after less than a week, she returns claiming the pills aren’t working. Another important lesson learned: as a doctor, you can’t have a short temper, because sometimes you will have difficult patients. Patients won’t follow directions, they will complain, but as their doctor, you still have to give them the quality healthcare they deserve. I guess my current job working in a customer service setting is preparing me to be a good doctor.


Day 18 in Trichy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment