Wednesday, June 10, 2015

I climbed Rock Fort

June 6, 2015
            I got up this morning with a smile on my face even though I had been awake since 4:00 am. This didn’t matter though, because I was going to see the beautiful Rock Fort. However, like all my time here in India, nothing happens the way I want it to happen. Instead of spending my beautiful Saturday morning shopping in the streets of Trichy, I found myself waiting behind the reception desk at Janet Nursing Home, waiting for Dr. Victoria to appear. I was upset because I wasn’t supposed to be there and due to miscommunication, I was stuck there. It wasn’t a pleasant start to my morning but looking back at it, I am glad it happened. I would have missed the birth of my sixth godchild, plus, as a bonus I got to see the mother get sterilized. 

            At 4:00 pm, Emily’s bird watching friends took us to see Rock Fort. We took the public bus to get there, which was an amazing experience. There were too many people on the bus and it was cramped and hot, but somehow I was having the time of my life. The walk to the entrance of the temple was like being on the streets of New York City, there were tons of people and tons of vendors trying to sell their stuff, it was chaotic. I kept trying to stop and shop, but everyone else was focused on getting to the temple entrance. Once at the entrance, we removed our shoes, greeted the god Ganesha, lit a candle, made a wish, and then started our long hike up the stairs. I have never sweated so much in my life until today. I had underestimated the Indian heat, never again shall I complain about North Carolina’s weather.  If you ever find yourself in Trichy, please make it your goal to visit Rock Fort. Even though we were in the presence of this wonderful temple, my hair was still the main attraction of the day. Everyone wanted to take our picture, I felt like a celebrity. Later on in the evening we got to do some shopping and it was amazing.  We ended our night at a little restaurant near the temple. I’m not sure what we ordered but the food was delicious and the ice cream was even better. 


 Day seven in Trichy and I'm falling in love with the city all over again.






No comments:

Post a Comment